Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Music: E.S. Posthumus

Have you ever heard the music in a movie trailer that sounded particularly epic, or in a television show that was equally so?  Ever want to know where it came from?

Well, a lot of that music comes from the marvelous band E.S. Posthumus (or ES Posthumus).

I was once asked about the kind of music I was listening to on my iPod at work, and saying this name confused my co-worker.  So the best way for me to classify it for him was to call it "EPIC MUSIC" (I spoke in capslock too).  He thought it sounded like a bunch of noise, but ignore him and listen to me.

Or rather, listen to these:

UNSTOPPABLE

This is the music you will hear in the trailer for the Sherlock Holmes movie staring Tony Stark Robert Downey Jr..  It was also used for some promo commercials for the NFL.
NARA

As it says, it was the opening theme to the crime show "Cold Case".  I also recently heard it playing on A&E's show 'Hoarders'.
ARISE

I am trying to think of other examples, but I know for sure this was utilized during BBC's Top Gear UK, when Richard Hammond was reviewing the Lamborghini Murcielago in the same episode they were in a challenge for the best cars for seventeen year olds.

I highly recommend investing some money into this group.  They have softer music, and music with lyrics.  Their tracks will help inspire a creative mind and get you in the mood to do something productive with your day.

My personal favorites are those listed above, along with Selisona Pi from their Cartographer album.  Give it a shot!  You may find yourself going 'o hay i know that one' when taking the time to listen in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment