Sunday, September 9, 2012

Names, Names~ Rambletimes.

When I was in high school, I took a Creative Writing class.  My philosophy teacher said it would benefit me, having been a great supporter of anything his students took an interest in, so I did so.  While I believe that these courses likely do some good for people, I never enjoyed it.  Well, that’s a lie.  I enjoyed listening to the stories others created, but after being marked down for my stories being ‘too dark’ (the content not being unlike supernatural shows found on NBC and WB these days), I just took a passive stance and reveled in the gender inequality that allowed the male students to write firsthand accounts of someone ready to commit suicide.

Funnily enough, though, that’s not what I’m writing about today.  When I was in that class, before my discouragement set in heavily, I used some of my near and dear characters of the time for one of the assignments.  Now, I still have these characters, though their personalities and stories have changed dramatically.  That’s why this still bothers me for the silliest of reasons.
 



The assignment was simple: Write a story of a character describing their surroundings.  I remember I wrote it in that metallic pink gel pen ink that would turn silver with pink outlines as it dried.  I hated pink, but that silver stuff was too much fun.  Then, when our draft was done, we had to sit in pairs of 3-4 and pass our stories to each other for critique.

I honestly don’t remember what the others wrote.  Mostly because they were doing a really bad job in keeping down their voices as they mocked my character names.  Then they told me they were too complicated.  It bothered me then, and like some plague that everyone has from their teenaged years, it sticks with me to this day.

It never swayed me!  Frankly, I’m unsure how the name ‘Ashira’ is too complicated, but maybe I’m more intelligent than I thought.  Oh, ‘Obayana’ was a hard one for them as well.  Maybe I’m just mispronouncing the names, and am over-simplifying as a consequence.

When you try to find names for your characters, I don’t think you should allow yourself to be swayed by someone telling you it’s too complicated.  With our entertainment spreading out where we have more foreign films, books, games, comics than ever before, people can handle it.

Hell, in the new Assassin’s Creed video game for the major consoles, Connor Kenway’s Mohawk name is Ratonhnhaké:ton.  We can handle complicated names, and anyone who tries to tell you different?  Just tell them that you thank them for their input, and then just leave.  There’s no reason to be upset and carry it with you like I have, because you’re smarter than I am, and there’s no reason to pick a fight, right?

The only real advice I have is: understand where your names are coming from if you’re specifically choosing names with cultural meaning.  Names are names, and you may pick a name that you think you’ve made up and later found out is the name of some highly prized god of a religion, and that’s okay.  But if you’re deliberately running a theme through your names you pick, make sure you research and fully understand what you’re doing for respect reasons.

Look at it this way:  you might find something in the history of that name that will give you ideas as well!  As long as you do so without totally disrespecting all of China.  But that’s an entirely different subject for a different time!

Don’t let the idea of a name being too complicated discourage you.  Yeah, there’s a certain finesse you should have when creating a name, but it’s hard to actually get a character laughed at by the vast majority of people anymore for the name.  The worst thing you can do is have a character with a ton of names and try to portray that is perfectly okay.  That WILL get you and your character laughed at.  Sarah Twilight Janessa Veronica Sherry Laura Topeka Grayson better get made fun of, or at least get an awful lot of in-character stares, because normalizing something like that will just make you look ridiculous.

They even made it a point to do this in The Fifth Element.  Watch it if you’ve never seen it (and recognize you are still a baby in this world yet) and you’ll see!

Alright, before this whole thing goes to Hell in a hand basket more than it already has, I’m going to say peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment